Wednesday February 6, 2008
“While you’re drinking diet Snapple.” First of all, NSFW, even though all the f-bombs are beeped out. Sarah Silverman and Jimmy Kimmel have been an item for over 5 years, and this is a video she made for him for his 40th birthday. I get to post this because of a sketchy Miami connection: the clip was filmed at the Delano.
Thursday August 16, 2007
Wednesday August 8, 2007
Saturday, August 25th, Barack Obama will be in town, and you can get tickets to go see him speak at the Miami-Dade Democratic Party website. This isn’t a blog about national politics, but I feel compelled to say that Democrats, at least, should seriously consider going to see him. I’ll explain why as briefly as possible.
Barring some unforeseeable event that would give a Republican a chance, the next president will be either Obama or Hillary Clinton. Either one would make a good president in terms of policy, but I think Obama would be a much better leader for the country in terms of someone we have to listen to/see all the time. In a word, it’s all about sincerity. (This is something of a circular concept, because for a politician being “sincere” often means appearing sincere, but let’s let that go.) I think even opponents of Obama and even supporters of Clinton would agree that he is more sincere then she is. To me, that makes him the better choice for president.
That would be enough reason to go see him, but there’s something else. It’s becoming increasingly apparent that Clinton has the edge in the race. If things go the way they look like they’re going to go right now, she’s the next president. But for now, it still very much could go either way. So you have maybe the last chance ever to see Obama talk while he (and everyone else) believes that he may well be the next president. If the reports of his oratorical powers are to be believed, this is an opportunity not to be missed. Also, insofar as his slimming chance is still substantial, your attendance (and $30 ticket price) is helping push things his way.
Saturday April 21, 2007
- The Met’s New Greek and Roman Galleries. Click “Panoramas of the objects,” then “Marble head of a youth,” then “Rotate.” (via Artblog)
- Rabbit in your Headlights video.
- The Flying Dutchman.
- Subway systems of the world, presented on the same scale.
- Infant cages and babies sunbathing on nursery lawn in the Israeli settlement of Gat. February 12, 1946.
- Chicago & North Western railroad yard, Chicago, Ill. December 1942.
- The Hihokan Erotic Museum, Japan.
- Calamita Cosmica, here and here.
- A discussion of the proper uses of hyphens, en dashes, and em dashes. This is important.
- “My dead grandmother’s final wish was to be able to occasionally come back to life as a man and come to parties with me and stuff and I said, ‘All right but you have to look cool,’ and then she has the nerve to show up like this going, ‘Whaddya say, eh? I told you I could pull it off.’”
- Narco diving (#30).
- “The Church of Scientology has dispatched ‘ministers’ to provide ‘grief counseling’ for shell-shocked youth at Virginia Tech – but critics suspect the sect hopes to convert the vulnerable students."
- 32 Chinese factory workers were buried in white-hot molten steel.
- The World of Wal-Mart map.
- Beijing pollen. (via 好的. 等一会儿.)