Tuesday January 9, 2007
More on AM: Category 305 (“But honestly, does Art Miami have to be this boring?”) Miami Art Exchange writeup (“only a few galleries . . . featured work that is clearly 2nd and 3rd rate at best”) and photoset. Update: And New Times, which gives props to Carol Jazzar and Gismo.
Sunday January 7, 2007
“There certainly is a lot of blegh art at Art Miami . . .” TnfH goes for a look, and suggests a change of date. Agreed.
Friday January 5, 2007
How do I dislike the Art Miami ad that’s running everywhere? Let me count the ways:
- Not a real Miami lifeguard stand. I have no idea where this is from, but not anywhere in driving distance.
- Not the real Miami ocean. Give me a break; we’ve seen the ocean here, and it’s never been this color. Ever. This is probably in the Caribbean, and then color-tweaked with an eye toward absurdity.
- Not a real Miami beach. It isn’t this color. It doesn’t look like that.
- Even with all that, those three elements are all assembled in photoshop — note the wishy-washy hand-painted shadow. Look where the legs and ladder meet the sand. They didn’t even try. In fact, I’m not even sure the sand and water are from the same photo.
- Text not really stenciled. More photoshop, and again not well done.
- Absurd cloud-collages are de-rigeur these days (see here), but this one is particularly laughable. I detect pieces from maybe 5 different photos.
- Actually, the typography’s not bad. I kind of like this part.