Monday August 6, 2012
I’ve been reacquainting myself with the Miami Internets a bit, and here is some stuff, a lot of which will be old to you. By the way, I have been using the snot out of the CM Twitter feed, so stuff like this will be retweeted there moreso than collected here going forward, I think.
- The casino at the Herald site. You know thats’ totally happening, right? Certainly Gentling’s not going to let Tallahassee stop them. So what’s the next step? Going for an amendment to the state constitution, apparently.
- Two cyclists killed in Cooper City Sunday morning. Apparently the driver was trying to get away after a botched burglary. Rick says this is exactly why he doesn’t bicycle anymore, an argument that deserves to be picked apart a bit: Cycling is less dangerous than driving. But cycling is an option. Well, driving is an option too, no? Isn’t the bus insanely safe compared to either cycling or driving? Or, try this: heart disease kills 6 times as many people as all accidents combined. Is Rick a vegetarian?
- Video: a 3-minute recap of Andrew Zimmern’s visit to Miami, including stone crab fishing and roasting a pig in a caja china. (More.)
- For the 80’s among you, Public Image Limited plays Grand Central in a couple of months and tickets r on sale.
- Wanna really do something about your electric bill? Perhaps you could go to FPL’s rate adjustment hearing and make a stink.
- Wha — Alex Broadwell’s photos of Holly Hunt and Jellyfish Brothers — but no DJ Fucked Up?!?
- The Five Worst Primary Candidates: Our Haters Guide To Next Tuesday’s Election from New Times. Trashy: do not read.
- This is probably one of those things that y’all have known about forever, but Miami Tech Events
- If you’ve got time, the Herald’s YouTube channel has interviews with the local candidates and other officials. And by the way, Absentee ballot fraud made easy in Miami-Dade.
- How would you like to finally be mentioned in the New Yorker, only to have your name mangled beyond googleability? That’s exactly what happened to Sinisa Kukec.
- Miami Restaurant’s August 2012 Power Rankings. Not sure exactly what this is, but a list of restaurants is always fun to look at I guess.
- In a Broward school system plagued by budget cutbacks, teacher layoffs and scandal, even $2 billion won’t fix everything. But it’s a start, said superintendent Robert Runcie.
- O Cinema will be screening the new Ai Wei Wei documentary (which has been getting universal acclaim even from non-art people) — Thursday with pizza, thereafter without.
- Video of the Sears Tower in its heyday, the Beatles arriving in Miami, 1960’s radio wars, aerial shots of Fisher Island from the 20’s, and more at The 305’s Old School Sundays.
- Speaking of old-school Miami, a photo by Mr. Entertainment of Harry Pussy performing at Churchill’s in 1997.
- Photos from that ID Festival thing.
- “After a disappointing start to their inaugural season in Marlins Park, Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria unveiled plans Friday to build a new waterfront stadium at Mid-Beach, tentatively called Marlins Field. ‘We made a lot of great memories at Marlins Park, but our fans need a modern facility capable of housing a winning team,’ said Loria, who expects funding for the project to be approved by the city and county governments.” Relax, it’s The Onion.
Oh yeah, and I monkeyed with the design over the weekend. Wider. Coming soon: Twitter and FB share buttons for each articles. Eyesore I know, but we gotta get the word out…comments powered by Disqus