Monday January 7, 2008

Homestead farmers market

farmers market

We stumbled on a completely amazing farmers’ market down in Homestead this weekend. It’s just off the intersection of US-1 and SW 244 Street. The market is in this big building with open sides, and an adjacent swapshop-type area is adjacent, where you can get your share of discount car audio and designer knockoffs. There are also junk food vendors and pony rides, but the farmers market is the main attraction.

farmers market

Ultra-plump produce reigns large and small, everyday and exotic. To example the latter, how about green garbanzo beans still in their husks? Everything was bristling with flavor, and of course it was amazingly cheap.

farmers market

Florida plum tomatoes. Not pictured: the biggest mountain of bananas I’ve seen in my life.

farmers market

This being homestead, Mexican-oriented stuff was abundant. Here are some half-dozen+ different dried peppers. Also — did I mention there was a little nursery section? Chad bought an Epazote plant, which apparently is extremely difficult to find.

farmers market

Mysterious powders and dried plants hang from the rafters. Note the cartwheel pasta, available freshly fried elsewhere on the premises. No idea what the orange stuff is.

farmers market

Oh, and if you’re ever in need of a 50 pound bag of carrots, they’ve like totally got you covered.

Update: Do all farmers markets in Florida stink?

1. Gabriel J. Lopez-Bernal    Mon Jan 7, 11:21 AM #

Enjoy it while you can, we’re paving over our farm and arable land at an alarming rate.

2. Dave    Mon Jan 7, 11:29 AM #

Alesh: This looks great! Thanks for the heads up. If anyone decides to go down there and has extra time they can take Rob Burr’s self-guided Redlands area tour. The map is available at http://www.redlandriot.com/RouteMap.html which you can print out. Also next Saturday is the Redlands Riot Rallye which should be great fun

3. Johnny R.    Mon Jan 7, 11:37 AM #

If only this could become a permanent fixture!

4. alesh    Mon Jan 7, 12:56 PM #

Dave~

I have that in plan for my next visit! Homestead is great!!

5. john spain    Tue Jan 8, 12:00 PM #

A friend kept recommending this to me but saying nothing more than “drive south forever until you see it,” which wasn’t enough for me to get behind the wheel of my car.

Thanks for the address and heads up!

6. Bob Flanders    Thu Jan 10, 04:47 PM #

This is terrific, thanks for spreading the good news!

- Miami’s 1st ever Upper Eastside Green Market will open for business at Legion Park this Saturday, Jan. 12, at 9 AM in the front of the park at Northeast 66th Street that opens onto Biscayne Boulevard. Free parking is available in the park, access is off Biscayne at NE 64th – turn on NE 7th Ave into the park, or at the American Legion Harvey Seeds Post 29, next door.

The Upper Eastside residents, City of Miami and Miami Beach’s Claire Tomlin of the Market Company, organized the green market, a 10-week trial-run of plants and fresh foods that also include chef demonstrations and horticultural workshops.

Claire Tomlin has put together street and farmers markets in Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Aventura and downtown Miami for more than ten years, and she expects about 25 and 30 independent vendors to offer their produce and products in Legion Park.

For more information, call 305-775-2166.

7. tom    Fri Jan 11, 03:08 PM #

This looks amazing. I’ll be making a field trip there as soon as I can. Thanks for the heads up.

8. adam    Mon Jan 14, 02:21 PM #

Is this place only open on sundays? I went by today (monday) and it was closed.

9. Chad    Fri Jan 18, 12:46 PM #

Only on weekends if I’m not mistaken.

10. regi    Mon Jan 28, 05:48 PM #

Does anyone know if it is open on Saturdays – or is it just on sundays.