Friday November 9, 2007

T minus 1 month to Art Basel weekend

book fair

I just added to my Book Fair rant, but please go if you think it’ll float your boat. Try the Herald, which has good coverage and the answer to yesterday’s mystery: YES they are charging again this year. Pony up those Abraham Lincolns.

Tonight

Saturday

Sunday

1. mkh    Fri Nov 9, 09:10 AM #

Will we be treated to a “What’s the point of an art fair?” rant this time next month, Alesh?

2. Run-On-Sentence Man    Fri Nov 9, 09:20 AM #

black moth super rainbow is opening for Aesop Rock…not really into Aesop…but black moth is something special….kinda like an aggressive boards of canada, with a hint of evil. I doubt they will ever come to Miami again, so you should check it!

3. Chris    Fri Nov 9, 09:57 AM #

Morrissey and now Queen Latifah canceling? Are artists allergic to the Fillmore or something?

4. alesh    Fri Nov 9, 11:40 AM #

mkh~

As it pertains to the utility of fairs, art is the perfect opposite of books. It’s non-reproducible, so any given piece can only be in one place at once, and there’s a definitive group of people who are interested in it.

5. C L Jahn    Fri Nov 9, 12:30 PM #

It’s also your last chance to see URINETOWN, The Musical, at Actors’ Playhouse in Coral Gables. The critics have been raving about this one. You’ll laugh, you’ll laugh some more, you’ll laugh until you….
    It’s fun; come see it.

6. nnnikki    Fri Nov 9, 12:31 PM #

Yo: not that I’m going, but Bonnie Raitt doesn’t come to Hard Rock live till next Weds, 11/14.

7. William    Fri Nov 9, 01:33 PM #

Tobacco road … Tonight!
    www.CubesStorage.com

8. mkh    Fri Nov 9, 05:33 PM #

So art lovers are a monolithic block who love all art, making all art fairs universally appreciated? Good to know.

Oh, and for something that can’t be reproduced, there are a few publishers out there making a pretty good living reproducing art. But I admit, seeing art in person is different than looking at a print, kind of like the difference between listening to a CD and then attending a concert, or reading a book and then speaking with its author.

But this is the wrong comment thread, I suppose.

And damn! I’m going to miss Urinetown?! That sucks.

9. oh boy    Sat Nov 10, 12:04 AM #

Just one month till all the NYC and euro trash show up! Sh—t got to get the city cleaned up! How can we scam them lets all put our heads together! Start a contest! Its the Miami way. Must be someone interested in my unbuild condo bought on spec?

10. alesh    Sat Nov 10, 11:05 AM #

mkh~ now that you mention it, most art fairs are sub-specialized. For example, average people do not like most of what’s at Art Basel. The art wonks that go eat it up. Now, there may be a group of “book wonks” out there, but insofar as books cover the broad spectrum of human knowledge (plus art poetry etc.), “books” as such are not an “interest” in and of themselves in the way that art is.

None of that is to say that a book fair can’t be a good time. But it’s less essential for a “book lover” to attend a book fair then, say, for a lover of contemporary art to attend Art Basel. Is this not obvious?

I addressed the book/music analogy in my reply to A.T. at the other thread, but please let me know if it is not clear that this analogy is Just Plain Wrong.

11. cohen    Sat Nov 10, 03:21 PM #

Thanks Alesh for posting my show…. on CM…..i hope to see you there…. and good luck.

12. mkh    Sun Nov 11, 09:18 AM #

Perhaps because I’m not an art wonk, no, it isn’t obvious. But since most art fairs are sub-specialized, and many book fairs are devoted to a particular genre (mysteries, new authors, history, et cetera), then I guess there is a parallel between MBFI and Art Basel. Art seems to cover just as broad a range as literature; it just takes up more space on a wall, making it more difficult to get a bunch of it in one place.

But we’ll agree to disagree. I really don’t have a lot of interest in Art Basel, and you don’t have a lot of interest in the book fair. There’s room for us both in Miami, so I won’t make you leave, newbie.

13. alesh    Sun Nov 11, 04:04 PM #

“Art seems to cover just as broad a range as literature”

But that’s just it — literature is a small subset of “books.” A fair devoted to, say, history books, would seem to make much more sense, and a fair devoted to “the world and everything in it” would make even less sense.

And if you think AB is devoted to “art in general” (implied by “parallel between MBFI and AB”), it’s not — AB is very tightly focused on the highest quality (according to the committee) of cutting-edge contemporary art (with a splash of modernism for good measure).

I come back to this: I love books for what’s in them, not for being books. My enjoyment of 1984 has nothing perceptible in common with my enjoyment of William Eggleston’s Guide, or of O’Reilly’s Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide, but, geek that I am, I enjoy them all. Give me a decent eBook reader with color 300dpi (any year now) and I’ll enjoy them just as much on that.