Thursday November 8, 2007

Hey, wouldn’t the Freedom Tower be a perfect spot for the Bay of Pigs museum? (From Suzy’s comment #9, here)

1. Duran    Thu Nov 8, 11:41 AM #

Hey, why didn’t anyone think about that before? Hahaha! We are all hear arguing, but this makes PERFECT sense. Well, then again Miami and Perfect Sense are about as compatible as Britney Spears and panties.

2. Suzy    Thu Nov 8, 11:47 AM #

That’s what I say… Why not? It’s got other Cuban artifacts. I’m sure they’d make room and WELCOME the money. Besides, it could bring additional foot traffic to whatever they decide for Parcel B…

3. DJ_Kremlin    Thu Nov 8, 11:57 AM #

I don’t think the Freedom tower should be made into any kind of a museum.

What I’d like to see happen their is the base of the building become an art gallery and the tower become lofts for the exhibiting artists.

Bay of pigs museum should be part of museum park!

Just my thought.

4. DJ_Kremlin    Thu Nov 8, 11:59 AM #

I don’t think the Freedom tower should be made into any kind of a museum.

What I’d like to see happen there is, the base of the building become an art gallery and the tower become lofts for the exhibiting artists.

Bay of pigs museum should be part of museum park!

Just my thought.

5. Carolina    Thu Nov 8, 01:24 PM #

I agree with DJ Krem. I was just there this past Saturday for the Goya etchings and I was impressed. My first time at the Tower and never imagined it would be so beautiful. It should definitely be a space for more art exhibits!

6. alesh    Thu Nov 8, 04:23 PM #

Say . . . who organized the Goya show?

My thing is that the MAM is going to be practically across the street from the Freedom tower . . . but then again, it’s not like you can have too much art.

I think what we agree on is that the Freedom tower is a good place for a museum-type space of some sort. It might accommodate more then one museum? And speaking of views, it isn’t very tall, but I’d guess the top of the tower would make a great lookout spot anyhow. One way or another it should be open to the public.

As for the Bay of Pigs . . . I’d much rather see it expanded to a general museum of Cuban-American history.

7. mkh    Thu Nov 8, 05:28 PM #

I wholeheartedly agree. Why limit the focus to memorializing a failed military action, when we could also celebrate everything the C-As have brought to the region? As for location, I think Freedom Tower makes a lot of sense given its place in exile history, but well, sensible action is a lot to ask for.

8. Adam    Thu Nov 8, 08:17 PM #

heh, every time I hear someone talk about the Freedom Tower I can’t help but think of the inevitable monstrosity that will one day be built where the World Trade Centers were.

9. Carolina    Fri Nov 9, 09:04 AM #

The Goya exhibit was organized by:

“The Goya exhibition is a joint effort by Miami Dade College President Dr. Eduardo J. Padron, Julio Fernandez Gayoso President of Caixanova, the Spanish bank that has so generously offered its collection to the people of Miami and the Office of Miami Mayor Manny Diaz. The exhibit is also supported by the Spanish Department of External Affairs and Cooperation, the Consulate of Spain in Miami and the Centro Cultural Español.”

10. Pedro    Fri Nov 9, 11:54 AM #

Wait a few more years and then build the “Bay of Pigs Museum” on a beautiful section of shoreline along the Gulf of Cazones with a scenic view of the Bahía de Cochinos.

11. Robert    Sat Nov 10, 02:10 PM #

Doesn’t Miami-Dade College own the building, with plans to convert at least part of it into a Cuban-American museum?

Patience folks. Patience.