Tuesday November 6, 2007

Ikea

Ikea visit

Don’t go to Ikea! It’s waaaay too crowded on the weekends, at least for now. Like overflow parking lot, trolly, Disneyesque line for parking crowded. I thought it’d calm down a couple of weeks after opening, but not yet. Here’s the obligatory shot of the outside. Now let’s walk through.

Ikea visit

Drop your kids at the play station and head up the escalator to the showroom.

Ikea visit

So, now you’re in a maze of little cubicle-rooms, each looking quite homey and stylish. Everything’s for sale; you jot down product names and “aisle numbers” of stuff you’re interested (more on that later) with little Ikea golf pencils. A few central open areas break up the rhythm, with like a sofa section, a desk section, etc.

Ikea visit

A bachelor pad sort of thing. I’ll say it again — it was packed.

Ikea visit

This kitchen was pretty impressive. By the way, there are several different price points at work here. You can get the $9 chairs, but you can also get very very nice stuff if you’re willing to pay something like a normal price.

Ikea visit

The table strategy: mix and match table surfaces (steel!) with various leg designs (not pictured: sawhorses). For extra credit, just get the legs and attach them to an unfinished door from Home Depot.

Ikea visit

Recycling garbage cans. Remind me again why we can’t have these everywhere?

Ikea visit

Back downstairs, you’ll find linens, rugs, kitchen stuff, and about a million other things, some clever designs on familiar themes, others quite unexpected.

Ikea visit

The lighting area is always one of my favorites. I got one of these.

Ikea visit

Finally, a walk through the warehouse to the registers. Remember those aisle numbers? You find your stuff here (or helpful folks will find it for you) and grab as many as you want. You also get to see the thing in context with all it’s variations. For example, a dresser you saw upstairs might turn out to come in three colors and two different sizes.

Ikea visit

At check-out, a $.05 charge for plastic bags. You can also buy a huge re-usable and super-useful tote bag for a couple of bucks.

The line for the restaurant upstairs was like about a city block, so the meatballs will have to wait for next time.

Tags:

1. Chris    Tue Nov 6, 10:33 AM #

I bought a re-usable bag the first time I went and felt like an idiot when I left it at home during my next trip. It takes a while to get used to being more green.

Nice lamp by the way. The lighting section is also my favorite. Did you try the meatballs? The restaurant line was ridiculous.

2. DJ_Kremlin    Tue Nov 6, 10:33 AM #

Thanks for posting this!
    I was going to go there this coming weekend. Guess I’ll wait another month or two. ;-)

3. jps    Tue Nov 6, 12:01 PM #

Things you can fit entirely into those bags:
    2 weeks worth of laundry
    1 months worth of recycling
    An entire trip to the grocery store for 1 bachelor
    At least 3 babies

I’ve walked the 4 blocks home from the grocery with six packs and gallons of juice (not at the same time though) over my shoulder and I’ve never been afraid of those suckers breaking.

4. onajide    Tue Nov 6, 07:34 PM #

I went two weeks ago, stood in line for the food then, went looking around. It was nice. I want to go back.

5. Biscayne Bystander    Tue Nov 6, 08:52 PM #

Wow! It looks just like all of the other ones.

\ sarcasim

6. Suzy    Thu Nov 8, 08:10 AM #

I have mixed feelings about going back to IKEA.
    I went on Saturday and arrived about 11:00 AM. BSO already had the parking lot closed off and the overflow parking was at the Bank Atlantic Center. At least my 4 year old loved the trolley.
    There were hoards of people and it was a madhouse. The line to the restaurant was 15 minutes for OK Swedish Meatballs. Actually, the hot dogs were better. The .05 plastic bag thing, as a Green Girl, is fantastic. The cheapskate in me was annoyed. The reusable .59 bag though is cool. It’s like a Tyvex material and it really did hold tons.
    The fact that the bag, which I walked out of IKEA wearing as a backpack, held tons is the reason why I’m torn about going back.
    I bought so much sh*t-reasonably priced sh*t and now that I’m home, I can see there are other things I ‘need’.

7. oh boy    Sat Nov 10, 12:01 AM #

Gee is the stuff made by slave wage asian workers by a company from Monaco (not Sweden to avoid Swedish social taxes and copyright laws) just like all the other Ikeas? Is there any FAIR TRADE products there? Does the stuff improve our community, the community of the workers where it is made or anybody else but the rich fat ex-swedish sunburnt owner of IKEA?

8. alesh    Sat Nov 10, 08:26 AM #

oh boy~ Thanks for raising the issues. I’m not sure I care about Ikea’s crazy ownership structure (though Wikipedia. Seems to disagree with you about the Monaco claim), but the other concerns are valid.

But is any of that more true for Ikea then for Modernage et al? No: the difference is that at Ikea you get less gouged. If it improves our community (not a claim I’m especially comfortable making) it’s by providing us with better designed, more affordable furniture.

Meantime, I welcome you to open that reasonably-priced fair-trade furniture store. I’ll be the first one singing your praises.