Wednesday October 3, 2007

Classical music comes back to Miami radio: I don’t know how I missed it, but WMCU 89.7 FM has been purchased by a company that intends to turn it into a classical station. May begin broadcasting later in this month. Yay! (via 26th Parallel)

1. DJ_Kremlin    Wed Oct 3, 02:36 PM #

About time Classical Music came back to the Miami airwaves!

2. Paula    Thu Oct 4, 08:57 AM #

Yay! I was appalled when they took it away. It’s about time.

3. Onajídé Shabaka    Thu Oct 4, 11:25 PM #

It is still amazing there has not been any classical music on the radio and there is this HUGE opera house sitting on Biscayne Blvd. which says that their revenue is way down. If they wanna make money, let P. Diddy fill up the place. Seems to me classical music on the radio in Ft. Pierce, Florida is a lot more relevant than here in a huge metropolitan area. As you know, I love certain things about Ft. Pierce and, WQCS is one of them. I think it’s a kick to find classical in a town that also loves country & western music, not to say there isn’t plenty of hip hop and r&b to go along with the mix. :-)

Saint Paul Sunday, one of my favorites programs plays there but, I’ve never heard it here. Never.

4. Guv    Sun Oct 7, 03:22 PM #

Fantastic news!

5. Lolo    Mon Oct 8, 11:41 AM #

AWESOME. I know I’m not the only one who misses WTMI, although you gotta give WVUM a couple props for their classical lunch hours – they’re trying!

6. aj    Fri Oct 26, 08:37 AM #

Last night, while driving around looking for a Public station not having a talk show, I stumbled across 89.7. It was playing fantastic classical music, without commercials. This morning I found out that it is the newest Public Radio Station in the Broward-Dade area with 24-hour classical music. Happy Days are here again!!!

7. Barbara    Fri Oct 26, 10:40 AM #

I tried to tune in today, but just got dead air. How come there has been NO PUBLICITY OR COMMUNITY CONTACT about the creation of this station? I heard about it way up in Minnesota, but not here, and this is the only reference I’ve found on the web. The only mention I’ve seen in the Herald concerns the ex-Christian station trying to sue American Public Media. Anyway, I’m holding my breath till I actually hear classical music on Miami radio, WITH NO ADS.

Barbara

8. ysee    Fri Nov 2, 10:04 AM #

It’s on, It’s on….! I spent all day yesterday listening to it. We have a classical radio station… in Miami. It was about time.
    What an uplifting moment that was to stumble on it.!!! and I must add very impressive selection of classical music. Opera last night. Franz Schubert this morning. A new classical destination.! Bravo.

9. alesh    Fri Nov 2, 10:58 AM #

I agree, ysee — i heard a little the other day and it didn’t seem like they were playing the pap.

10. Christian Ollino    Thu Nov 8, 07:33 AM #

Having Classical Music coming back to the airwaves in Miami is a breath of fresh air. It was illogical to have such a diversified city as is Miami without a Clasical Music station to soothe the air with.