Thursday September 13, 2007

Irène says: “We’re coming in to visit and are wondering if Miami or Miami Beach has a fantastic independent espresso cafe specializing in in-house or local roasts and crafted Italian espresso drinks. Love the Cafe Cubano, but living in FL, I miss the Italianos coffee.” Anyone?

Tags: , ,

1. Crumbs    Thu Sep 13, 02:47 PM #

Ohh, there’s this cute little place on Lincoln called…oh, what’s the name of it….oh yeah, Starbucks.

2. DJ_Kremlin    Thu Sep 13, 04:02 PM #

There is a cuban place on the beach… Just south of 71 st on Collins. It’s on the west side of collins, can’t remember for the life of me what it’s called, but…. BEST DAMN CAPPUCCINO I’ve ever had. I know this is a bit off point, but man it’s good Cappuccino!

3. Guv    Thu Sep 13, 10:44 PM #

Ha! I miss places like that. My favorite is Cup A Joe… in Raleigh, NC.

There is a cute little Italian spot in Coral Gables. I don’t think they roast their own beans. I can never remember the name. Little outdoor area in the back.

Something like “Donatello”? Anyone know for sure?

4. jordan    Fri Sep 14, 07:41 AM #

I don’t know which coffee shops roast their own coffee. But about the one in Coral Gables, that’s Cafe Demetrio.

Cafe Demetrio
    www.cafedemetrio.com
    300 Alhambra Cir
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    (305) 448-4949

A trendier coffee shop in Coral Gables would be Le Boudoir, which also doubles as a te salon. And it’s a good place to munch on French macarons!

Other cool coffee shops to check out in Mainland Miami, but not far away from South Beach:

Tinta y Cafe
    276 SW 8th St
    Miami, FL 33130
    (305) 285-0101

Out of the Blue
    www.outofthebluecafe.net
    2426 Ne 2nd Ave, Miami
    (305) 573-3800

And there’s other places in downtown Miami like Poz Cafe (which also has a location in Miami Beach) and Sedici Cafe.

Coffee shops in Miami Beach that isn’t a Starbucks and isn’t a Latin American cafeteria:

Cafetto Coffee & Cocoa
    1520 Washington Ave
    Miami Beach, FL 33139
    (305) 531-2375
    www.cafetto.biz

Segafredo Expresso
    1040 Lincoln Rd
    Miami Beach, FL 33139
    (305) 673-0047
    www.segafredocafe.com

5. Crumbs    Fri Sep 14, 08:19 AM #

Actually, for atmosphere, my favorite cafe on the Beach is a little French place hidden way behind on Espanola Way. It’s charming and makes me feel like I’m not in Miami…which might not be your goal.

A La Folie Cafe
    516 Espanola Way
    Miami Beach, FL 33139

6. alesh    Fri Sep 14, 08:27 AM #

Nice work, Jordan!

Ok, I’m not 100% sure about this one, but I had very decent espresso in the cafe attached to one of the hotels along Collins around the Bass. I think it was 1900, which would make it #6 on this page.

Crumbs~ We're trying to keep that place hush-hush, dude.

7. Irène    Fri Sep 14, 11:29 PM #

Thanks all…we are realllllllly looking forward to this visit. We moved to St. Pete from Portland, OR in February and it has been a little, uh, slow for what we were very, very used to.

8. mapache    Sat Sep 15, 12:40 AM #

i think that working a block away from MM i would suggest the guv try cafe con leche. Their coffee is a good waker upper and very tasty. also there is a spanish deli called Copas Y Tapas Spanish Gourmet, that has a great spanish cafe.
    just a thought guv.

9. miaedu    Sun Sep 16, 01:21 AM #

irene,

also check out www.chowhound.com.

10. Irène    Sun Sep 16, 04:27 PM #

Will do.

That cafe serving Intelligentsia (Out of the Blue) will be hit immediately upon arrival; that coffee is amazing.

11. miaedu    Mon Sep 17, 02:25 AM #

i think Out of the Blue no longer serves Intelligentsia. i was there about two weeks ago and there were Segafredo signs all over the place. even though it’s still on their website, i would call ahead if you’re going specifically for it.

the only place i know that serves Intelligentsia is Urban Brew in Fort Lauderdale. http://brewurbancafe.com/

12. alesh    Mon Sep 17, 04:40 AM #

Wow . . . I just looked up Intelligentsia on Wikipedia (an article that, it must be said, cites the shit out of its references).

My question is this: why would a cafe that can say “we’re the only place in Miami that serves X” . . . suddenly stop serving X?

13. Irène    Sat Sep 22, 08:17 AM #

OH NO!!!!

Well, I would imagine cost or perhaps Intelligentsia restricted their cafe sales areas due to freshness issues with the beans (I know my fave roastery in Portland will not sell 45 minutes outside of Portland…and the only way they finally agreed to sell to cafes in Seattle was to build a roastery and cafe of their own there!)…who knows. I do know that really sucks, but we are so excited about so many other things in Miami (thanks to this site, Daily Cocaine and others), that we’ll be just fine!

Thanks as usual. Hopefully we get to meet some of you people if we do end up down there for living purposes. Similar interests and all.