Wednesday August 29, 2007

Michael Lewis is disturbed by the surveillance cameras that are going up all over downtown. I’m with you, Michael, but as far as the cameras go, I think that battle is lost.

Tags: , ,

1. b.a.c.    Wed Aug 29, 02:28 PM #

It’s sad really, giving away our privacy for “protection”. But as you said Alesh, that battle is lost.

2. Pissed in Downtown    Wed Aug 29, 03:06 PM #

Privacy on public streets? I don’t get it. It’s not like they are putting cameras in your living room. What is so private about being out and about on the streets?

Let them watch, I just hope it actually helps with the crime here. I was on the corner of SE 2nd Ave and SE 1st St and watched a crack deal go down. AT NOON!!!

Bring on the cameras and let’s hope they help get rid of the shit that hangs out in Downtown.

3. Gabriel Lopez-Bernal    Wed Aug 29, 03:48 PM #

“You don’t have a presumption of privacy in public sections of the city,” says John Firman, a researcher with the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

Exactly! It’s Public, not private spaces. I don’t believe the anti-terrorism BS they throw our way, but, I do believe a constant video presence (along with more pedestrian activity along our streets) will help curb some of the area crime.

4. alesh    Wed Aug 29, 04:17 PM #

Yes, there is no presumption of privacy. Michael isn’t, and I’m certainly not, arguing that it’s illegal to videotape downtown. We’re suggesting that for the government to do it may tip the scales of safety/liberty the wrong way.

As I said, the video surveillance is a done deal. But if it isn’t already part of the proposal, facial recognition technology will surely be incorporated into the system, along with record keeping. Now if you’re a “person of interest” to the law enforcement, they can look at where you’ve been and when over the last year.

Next come hoodies, hats, sunglasses, and other types of “disguises” to beat the system. How long until the police decide to push for laws banning anything that “defeats” the “safety cameras” ?

If may be difficult to picture today, but trust me — it’s on the way.

5. tjl    Wed Aug 29, 07:16 PM #

Orwell’s 1984 was a dire warning to ward off the totalitarianism of public monitoring authorities. This camera system is not ‘like’ Big Brother, it ‘is’ Big Brother incarnate. Monitoring public behavior, except for emergency services, is completely unacceptable in any free society and should be received with outrage by responsible citizens. It’s a slippery slope to dictatorship and reminiscent of Hitler’s Germany and Stalin’s Soviet Union. Don’t let this situation prevail.

6. TJL    Wed Aug 29, 07:30 PM #

Check out what the useless cnuts are doing in England now:

7. Biscayne Bystander    Wed Aug 29, 07:55 PM #

Benjamin Franklin once observed: They that would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

8. that guy    Wed Aug 29, 09:33 PM #

It’s why you have to be able and willing to protect yourself when traversing these areas. If something goes down, by the time the cops react to your panicked 911 call or what the video operator sees on his screen, they might as well just send the coroner along, too.

Thankfully, Florida has a stand-your-ground law in place, and the only reason they’ll need to dispatch a coroner where a knowledgeable citizen is concerned, is to pick up the remains of the perpetrator of an assault.

Of course, this is a reactive rather than a proactive solution. I’m not all for the willy-nilly killing of the more nefarious residents of the Downtown area, Police need to be out in force in the area at all times.

9. DJ_Kremlin    Thu Aug 30, 01:49 PM #

The one thing that blows my mind about Miami, is this; I haven’t seen a cop actually patrolling the streets in Downtown. NEVER have I seen cops out here. WHY? In NY if you walk one city block you’ll trip over 50 cops. Is it going to take a plane crashing into a Miami building to get the police out onto the streets? Anybody have any insight into this?

10. P.O. Driver    Thu Sep 6, 01:11 AM #

Let’s put one of those surveillance cameras by each of the luxury car dealerships, so as to catch our crooked chief Pig “Mick” Timoney ‘test-driving’ another luxury car.