Thursday August 16, 2007

Not your new State of Florida regulations regarding cellphone usage and other driving matters

Ahh . . . I saw this on another blog (forget which) and wanted to do a post about it, but turns out it’s a hoax. Bummer. But let’s post it anyway:

These are new fines that were implemented on 8/1/07 for the State of Florida:

• As of 08/01/07 cell phone use must be “hands free” while driving. Ticket is $285. They will be looking for this like crazy – easy money for police department.
  • Cell phone use in the construction zone. – Double fine as of 08/01/07. Cell phone use must be “hands free” while driving.
  • Carpool lane – 1st time $1,068.50 starting 8/1/07 (The $271 posted on the highway is old). Don’t do it again because 2nd time is going to be double, 3rd time triple and 4th time license suspended.
  • Incorrect lane change – $380. Don’t cross the lane on solid lines or intersections. Block intersection – $485.
  • Driving on the shoulder – $450.
  • Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts – both passengers and drivers get tickets.
  • Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.
  • DUI (Driving under Influence=JAIL and stays on your driving record for 10 years!)

And hey people, when you get an e-mail on something, please Google it before blogging it. Remember — 92% of all forwarded e-mails are bogus.

1. Shawn    Thu Aug 16, 04:42 PM #

I got that email and first thing I thought was that it was fake. Thanks for confirming!

(Some of the laws would actually be pretty good, too)

2. Jonathan    Thu Aug 16, 04:53 PM #

Remember — 92% of all forwarded e-mails are bogus.

This is also true of blog posts, restaurant reviews and statements by your date that “I’ve never done anything like this before.”

3. mkh    Thu Aug 16, 07:34 PM #

I got this forwarded to me (in my professional capacity) at work last week by a skeptical associate. Sadly, Snopes didn’t have it up yet, but when I couldn’t find anything on MyFlorida I assumed it was fake.

4. Steve    Thu Aug 16, 08:07 PM #

Remember — 92% of all forwarded e-mails are bogus.

….affirmative. And true of the original 92% statement as well.

5. Ashley    Thu Aug 16, 08:42 PM #

So, it’s fake. But since local drivers aren’t affected by the guilt of nearly killing other drivers/pedestrians/bicyclists, isn’t spreading the word that they might lose money have a positive effect?

6. Ashley    Thu Aug 16, 08:45 PM #

sorry – I meant “wouldn’t” instead of isn’t
    (sloppy editing)

7. Steve    Fri Aug 17, 09:15 AM #

Good point, Ashley. What other falsehoods masquerading as government edicts do you suggest we spread around to produce a positive effect?

8. Ashley    Fri Aug 17, 10:03 AM #

I don’t know, perhaps we could continue to pretend that the only drugs of societal value come in a CVS childproof bottle?

9. alesh    Fri Aug 17, 12:01 PM #

I have a suggestion: We should get word out that showing disrespect for the police — whether in person or on a blog — is against the law.

That would make us safer overnight. Of course making it a real crime would be even more effective.

(Ashley~ I think I agree that most of those would be good laws. That’s probably how the list got started.)

10. Patricia    Fri Aug 17, 11:11 PM #

I got the above e-mail this morning and am in the process of trying to check it out.

Any new laws or ammendments to existing laws, any change in FL statutes, etc. always take effect on October 1st, not August 1st.

These may be bogus, but there’s always the chance that they may be in the plans for October 1st, 2007.

I found this blog while trying to see if I could check it out on a State website. So far this is as far as I’ve gotten.

11. PO'd Driver    Sun Aug 19, 11:20 AM #

Traffic Enforcement is just a way for mayor “Money” Diaz to get money to put more landscaping and STUPID TRAFFIC CIRCLES (I hate those damn things, can you tell :)) Little municipalities like Gables, Pinecrest, Miami Shores, etc etc would be bankrupt if it weren’t for traffic enforcement.

Try driving at the exact speed limit posted, YOU would become the victim of road rage (at the very least get a lot of people honking at you and cutting you off). Auto technology is such no that the current speed limits are obsolote, and the only reason they aren’t raised is for cities to keep their cash cows (Tickets)

I got a ticket for running a stop sign on a little side street near Vizcaya; a street which hardly has cross traffic but a lot of us smart locals take as a shortcut to Brickell. Seems some yappy homeowner’s association complained to Money Diaz and the Traffic Nazis of the Miami PD started writing tickets.

You feel sorry for the cops (well some of them at least) since they’re just following orders, but it’s easy to understand why some people detest them.