Thursday August 16, 2007

baylink The Baylink monorail idea that MVB has been pushing forever get some “hard numbers” applied to it. Still pretty fanciful, but I agree that some version of this should be built.

1. Duran    Thu Aug 16, 09:20 AM #

Why build a completely separate system when it should technically link up to the Metrorail and stop at Government Center. Last I heard, Miami-Dade was considering a light-rail system to go to Miami Beach.

2. TJL    Thu Aug 16, 10:37 AM #

What a waste of time and taxpayer money! IF it linked to Metrorail, I could possibly understand it, but to Watson Island???? NO!

3. alesh    Thu Aug 16, 11:41 AM #

Guys . . . click “some version” to see my idea. In fairness, I think MVB is being a bit poetic with this suggestion, but I think it DOES connect to metrorail.

4. TJL    Thu Aug 16, 11:58 AM #

I am not interested unless it goes directly to the airport. That said, unlikely to happen.

5. George    Thu Aug 16, 12:41 PM #

The idea has a lot of upside! I stand behind it or a variation if the idea 100%. Miami is known worldwide , and we need to step forward and implement a world-class public transportation system.

TJL – I think the Miami InterModel center will contain some kind of rail, linking up to MIA and It makes sense for the Monorail to connect with the Metro Rail.

6. Duran    Thu Aug 16, 04:21 PM #

George is shouldn’t connect to the Monorail, it should be part of the same heavy-rail line. It should flow seamlessly into Government Center or the Intermodal Center, making transferring lines easy. Problem is county residents’ unwillingness to have a heavy-rail line in their backyards (especially Miami Beach and Kendall). Wake up Miami! We can’t have underground lines to hide the ugly nature of mass transit thanks to the Biscayne Aquifer, so this is the next best choice. And with the poor traffic situation, I can only see property values going up for areas near a Metro stop.

7. Don Kirk    Fri Aug 17, 03:46 PM #

After a hurricane or flood, heavy and light-rail systems go down. with a well placed protected emergency power system, in most instances monorails can be back up and running, as soon as a quick safety inspection takes place.

Unlike Light Rail, that relies upon equipment that rests on a small lip over the rail, Monorails hug (wrap around) their guideway from the top and sides. They don’t operate in the street, or inter-mix with traffic; and their narrow guideway is less light blocking, than that of wide, elevated heavy and light-rail systems.

If New Orleans had Monorails, they would have been able to help evacuate residents; both before and after the flood. Instead, their bus, trolley and light rail systems were underwater; and $ millions of damage was done to them; which took months to get operating again.

Don