Wednesday May 16, 2007

Some podunk research comes out about driver rudeness, and everybody’s up in arms about it, blogs, the national news, you name it. Finally, Larry Lebowitz has taken the time to poke holes all through the study. It’s shoddy. Update: Another interesting tidbit: the survey got the rankings basically by asking people in each city if they thought the drivers in their city were more or less courteous then in other cities. In other words, the study shows that Miami drivers think they the rudest.

1. Rick    Wed May 16, 08:01 PM #

Lebowitz’s main gripe with the survey, best I can tell, is that they were defining driver rudeness as “road rage,” which Larry, and many others maintain has some physical assault aspect to it. Well, I guess so, although when someone cuts in front of me, slams on his brakes, and then angrily flips me off, I consider that road rage.

He also laments that the statistics are skewed from a local standpoint because so few people from each location were surveyed. I don’t know statistics enough to address that point but even Larry admits…

_Nobody doubts that driving in South Florida is hazardous, and getting worse instead of better.

We run red lights. We tailgate. We cut in and out of traffic without signaling. We impatiently block congested intersections. We turn left from the center lane._

Like he says, that’s the real point. Instead of debating the validity of a survey, we need to figure out ways to address the problem.

2. Rick    Wed May 16, 08:05 PM #

And once-a-friggin’ again, the comments here bite. Nice italicize function, Alesh. Bitch about my comments? Nice.

3. alesh    Wed May 16, 09:15 PM #

I know you don’t know anything about statistics, Rick. Otherwise you wouldn’t proudly post those survey results with a couple of dozen responses every week.

Oh, and I also realize you consider “Preview” just a speed bump between you and getting back to reading the Sun Sentinel website, but it’s there for a reason. In this case, to notice that the italics feature only works within one paragraph. If you want to italicize more then one graf, you have to do them individually.

4. Rick    Wed May 16, 09:54 PM #

So I’ll add the surveys and the Sun-Sentinel stories to the laundry list of things that you hate so much about the blog you’ve linked to twice in the past week. I mean, if we’re really that bad, Alesh, don’t put your readers through such misery ever again. I mean that.

And is the Sun-Sentinel like the Herald? You know, the paper Larry works for? Just wondering.

5. alesh    Thu May 17, 07:49 AM #

I love SotP. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t waste my time pointing out the things it gets wrong.

Not sure what your second graf means. Huh?

6. Rick    Thu May 17, 08:06 AM #

Be assured, Alesh, Alex and I spend hours mulling over how we can make SotP more Alesh-friendly.

As far as the 2nd paragraph…we both tap into the MSM for content. Your comment made it sound like there was something wrong with that.

7. alesh    Thu May 17, 09:33 PM #

Re “more Alesh-friendly,” go right ahead thinking that I’m the only one bugged by this stuff.

Re MSM content you’re of course right. I think we have a different way of handling that stuff, but neither is necessarily better or worse. But the Sentinel? Meh.

8. alesh    Mon May 21, 07:40 AM #

9. Jonathan    Mon May 21, 10:55 AM #

So it’s another junk study. So many of these reports turn out to be make-news based on either badly designed surveys or press releases from self-promoters or activists.