Wednesday April 11, 2007

University of Miami Complaints. I think a video-blog of walking around and asking people what’s annoying them is an idea that needs to be extended outside the UM campus, where the best that rich kids can come up with is that parking is a hassle. Still sort of funny, though. (via ignore)

Tags:

1. $poiled    Wed Apr 11, 06:35 PM #

there are so many obnoxious things wrong with this website it’s almost transcendent.

2. Biscayne Bystander    Wed Apr 11, 06:39 PM #

GO CANES!

3. joke?    Wed Apr 11, 07:32 PM #

is the joke by ignore or are these videos real? i’m not getting it. maybe i’m too old.

4. CaneKiller    Wed Apr 11, 08:08 PM #

going to show this to all my classes at FIU. thanks!

5. Re: CaneKiller    Wed Apr 11, 10:03 PM #

caneKiller and $poiled go f**k your loser-selves. this stupid site is not a reflection of our student body and screw ignore magazine for sensationalizing a lame school project. and to who ever created that UM site: way to get publicity for yourself by doing an interview online where you look incredibly stupid. “i’m not a politician, i’m a blogger.” idiot. who says that?

6. Re: CaneKiller    Wed Apr 11, 10:07 PM #

and by the way, not everyone who goes to UM is rich. thanks.

7. CaneKiller    Wed Apr 11, 11:08 PM #

heh heh. since your a student at UM, you should go complain about the website and our comments on your school’s website for complainers. if FIU had one of these sites, we’d talk about stuckup UM students instead of crying about parking.

8. good stuff    Thu Apr 12, 01:36 AM #

i love the girls with gigantic sunglasses in the bottom video. this made my night. the stereotypes at the university of miami ring true.

9. alesh    Thu Apr 12, 10:38 AM #

I think the parking thing is probably a legitimate complaint, and for the record FIU used to have (~3-5 yrs ago) a pretty messed up parking situation.

I think the vblog is mostly unintentionally funny but occasionally pretty good too. The only thing that really bugged me was the lame intro that’s at the beginning of every clip.

PS it’s apparently an anonymous blog so I’m not sure publicity was the motivation?

10. Michael K    Thu Apr 12, 01:31 PM #

It was obviously for publicity because the girl did an interview with ignore magazine where she laughs at what the students say. Maybe you should recheck where you get your information. To me, the parking thing is only .004 of the complaints. The rest of the complaints are from the rare idiots, like those girls with Lohan glasses that UM is so badly associated with and skateboarders. It’s a bad representation.

11. alesh    Thu Apr 12, 03:18 PM #

Think about the timeline, Michael: she did the blog, then she did the interview. Did she know ignore’d interview her when she set up the blog?

I didn’t watch all the videos, just a few at the beginning and a few at the end. Parking seemed to come up much more often then anything else, but whatever.

My favorite was the yearbook editor complaining about people not reading flyers they get handed to them in the halls!

12. John    Thu Apr 12, 04:53 PM #

Take it from me, all UM students (including those of us that work here full time to get our tuition paid) are not rich. I’ll upload my W2 if you all need proof!

PS, just so you all now, UM pays its employees LESS than both FIU and Miami-Dade for identical positions. That’s what you get for a pretty campus, a lake, and fine women. I stand by my choice.

13. John    Thu Apr 12, 04:59 PM #

BTW-I’m not sure how this reflects negatively on UM. If parking is the worst complaint, I’d say the University is doing quite well. People could be complaining about, say, inadequate professors, racism, violence, etc.

14. Michael K    Thu Apr 12, 05:16 PM #

john, did you go the ignore story? because they make fun of UM students for being dolts and then the girl who runs the complaints site is on there doing an interview. she sounds like a moron and she admits that most of the complaints are stupid but funny. it reflects badly because the students she picked are the most inarticulate you can find. my friend from UF was sent the ignore story by his friend there and took a look and says the same thing, like, “you spoiled rich kids, they’ll complain about the sky in miami not being the right shade of blue.” he was kidding, but still.

not to mention, the war in iraq. like, unlike columbia university that’s used as some kind of holy standard our students don’t care about the world’s plights, they care about stuff that doesn’t matter at all, like lattes and nicer gyms and yearbook photos. it sets a bad example for our student body. i’m going to stand by that. if you don’t go to UM, neither the complaints website nor ignore’s story on it is a realistic representation. same thing with critical miami calling us “rich kids.” i’m not rich either and i’m tired of people make goddamn presumptions.

15. Call me Crazy    Thu Apr 12, 05:51 PM #

But in my experiences most and I said “most”’ UM students are spoiled rich outof towners with brand new BMWs and SUVs. Michael, take a look at the cars on your campus and you will piper down. Who else goes to a school that is $40,000-$50 a year?

16. "um students protesting iraq war"    Thu Apr 12, 06:46 PM #

the unv of miami simply being the univ of miami is a “protest” against iraq. that school’s campus life signifies everything gilded an outsider needs to know about the usa.

17. glacierthaw    Thu Apr 12, 09:19 PM #

iraq is dumb and so is “michael k”

18. Janice Gironda    Thu Apr 12, 10:39 PM #

there should be more video blogs in miami. there should be more blogs too. we’re so behind. we are the bloggers and go canes!!!!

19. Janice Gironda    Thu Apr 12, 10:42 PM #

srry, meant “where” i am not a blogger but at least i comment. whatver happened the blog go see art? and ignore, critical miami and miami nights you should all go all out. a post a day does not a blog make.

20. Michael K    Thu Apr 12, 11:23 PM #

I don’t understand how Critical Miami gets off on calling us all “rich.” It’s complete bullshit.

21. WarLaur    Fri Apr 13, 08:10 AM #

I’m with John and Alesh… 4 years ago, parking was a huge issue at FIU, where there are no shuttles. But if parking is the best UM students can come up with, it does reflect on how well the school must be doing.

I went to both schools, and I think the kids interviewed on April 6 could have just as easily been from FIU. I don’t think the video is necessarily a good representation of the “spoiled rich kid” student body at UM [although I agree, it exists].

But I met more rich kids at FIU. They’re rich because their parents were saving a bunch. Think about it: Just because someone drives a fancy car doesn’t mean they’re rich. Yeah, they might be spoiled, but could be in loads of debt.

22. John    Tue Apr 17, 12:25 PM #

Who goes to a school that costs 40-50k a year? It’s people that don’t pay that price, either because of scholarships or because they’re willing to give up two years of their life to work at the University full time during the day and attend class at night with the tuition remission benefits. You can get a “prestigious” degree without paying for it if you’re smart.

23. John    Tue Apr 17, 12:25 PM #