Friday February 9, 2007

Culture weekend

civ4

1. Guv    Fri Feb 9, 09:53 AM #

Sunday, if anyone is feeling philanthropic, or in need of a morning walk, the National Kidney Foundation is having a 5K benefit walk starting at Bayfront Park (8 am registration, 9 am walk). I’ll be walking to support a friend of mine who is on a transplant list. There is no minimum donation to participate. The website is miamikidneywalk-dot-org.

Also, Sunday would be a great day to go to The Rascal House up in the Sunny Isles area… I hear it’s going to become a development, which is a real shame. Go live the dream of lots of delicious, inexpensive breakfast food in an old-Miami institution, before it’s gone forever. You’ll only need one meal for the day. The complimentary sticky buns are carb-o-licious!

2. Tere    Fri Feb 9, 10:42 AM #

Sunday is my grandma’s 92nd b-day celebration. You know what that means: lechon, morros and platanos fritos!

3. Manola Blablablanik    Fri Feb 9, 11:07 AM #

Hi Guv, yes that is a delicious suggestion!

I’ve been trying to track the deal over at Rascal House. I placed a call not long ago and they told me they had two years to consider “what to do,” ie, meaning when to close although they were very vague about it. It’s funny but the press made it sound like it was right away. So I guess they’re not closing right away, but I wish they’d give us a date.

4. alesh    Fri Feb 9, 11:17 AM #

Tere~ amazing. a couple of friends of mine are leaving the country for a year+, so big festivities on my end, too.

Manola the local journaliste! Go Manola!

5. Guv    Fri Feb 9, 11:24 AM #

Manola, I heard the same —- that the closing is not an immediate thing —- but even if it’s two years, that is not long enough for me to eat enough sticky buns to last me the rest of my days in a post R.H. world… I am even nostalgic for the wee sugar ants on my table last time!

6. Manola Blablablanik    Fri Feb 9, 11:42 AM #

Guv, indeed! The rugelah is also to die for.

Alesh, funny … :-) Speaking of which I am covering the Sex and the Animals event over at Metrozoo.

7. kingofrance    Fri Feb 9, 12:47 PM #

What? They’re going to close the Rascal House? I swear, if they close Monkey Jungle, I’m outta here.

8. dig    Mon Feb 12, 05:55 PM #

do you play civ4?

9. alesh    Mon Feb 12, 07:12 PM #

King~

Rascal House hasn’t been the same since they got rid of the sign.

Dig~

I was on civ3 before, and yes. A slowly blooming addiction that’s really become a problem over the last few weeks. It’s cutting into my blogging time — yikes!