Monday January 22, 2007

Jacques Herzog: Miami lecture

Herzog

Jacques Herzog is one of the architects of Herzog & de Meuron, who have been selected to design the new building for the Miami Art Museum in Bicentennial Park. On Friday, he gave a talk at the University of Miami. And while he didn’t reveal any design (it will probably be revealed during 2007 Basel) or even discuss the project directly at great length, he oriented his discussion around concerns related to the project (and Miami in general), and so gave many hints as to what may be coming. Follow some observations I found interesting from the talk:

Update: The Lincoln Road project (dangerous Flash w/video+music ahead)(thanks, Blingtown).

1. Onajide    Mon Jan 22, 09:44 AM #

Thanks. I was very interested in attending but, was not able to. I like the idea of “loose rocks allow air (and light) into the building, so that it does not require cooling.” I think we have over air conditioned/ cooled ourselves here way too much. It’s only been within the past 5 years that I’ve been forced to lived in that kind of environment, which I don’t like. Of course, without artifically cooled air our population certainly wouldn’t be what it is. But, the one thing that annoys me to no end is people complaining about how hot it is outdoors. You live here, just adapt. :-)

2. Adam    Mon Jan 22, 10:30 AM #

Well, I agree, but you can’t exactly open up the windows at the art museum if you are trying to preserve your collection.

3. Manola Blablablanik    Mon Jan 22, 02:35 PM #

Groovy! Thanks for covering this, Alesh.

I don’t get the ‘decorated boxes’ bit … those decorated boxes have survived hurricanes and are perfectly adapted to a human scale. Far more interesting to the eye I think than all the bazillion condo towers made of glass.

I’ve seen the hanging garden thing in Spain (a hotel in Granada) ... but it was an interior courtyard. That type of thing is very typical over there actually, especially in the southern part of the country.

I agree we are way too dependent on a/c, but it’s not even a matter of personal comfort. If you don’t have a/c your house & personal belongings will be overtaken by mold. I don’t believe that the air circulates on our peninsula as much as it would on an island.

4. alesh    Mon Jan 22, 03:13 PM #

Onajide~ Right. I mean, I hate the heat, too… H&dM don’t really repeat their past solutions, and I don’t think idea would work in this case anyway, but of course there is a lot more that can be done with buildings to keep them naturally cool then to leave off the AC and open them up to the elements. I believe it’s part of “building green,”

Adam~ Yep. See above.

Manola~ Yeah, I found the criticism a bit odd, too. Pre-AC, the window overhangs on many deco buildings directed breezes inside, so arguably they do address the region’s weather, and the styling is based on ships, so that makes sense, too. I guess what Herzog was criticizing, mainly, was the emphasis on ornamentation of deco, setting up their intent to NOT take any cues from existing local architecture in that respect. which is cool with me.

5. Blingtown    Mon Jan 22, 03:54 PM #

Check the parking garage at 1111 . I may be more excited about this project than I am about the MAM. I think it will do much to “finish” Lincoln Road. They already have approval to turn that last bit into a pedestrian rather than car zone, and that will mean a continuous corridor of retail on both sides of the street from Alton all the way to the ocean. While I miss the ole days of the ballet, monkey dioramas, and bums on Lincoln Road, the new version is still a helluva lot better place to take care of Christmas shopping than Dolphin Mall.

6. Manola Blablablanik    Mon Jan 22, 04:11 PM #

Oh man, I agree, but I SOOOOO miss those monkeys though!

7. Blingtown    Mon Jan 22, 04:12 PM #

H&dM are my favorite Arch firm in the world, but I would like to call BS on the idea that there is no local tradition of dealing with the elements and that the deco buildings are merely decorated boxes. Someone raised the point of the maritime tradition during Q&A, (ie. the Barnacle), which deals with climate quite well, but Jaques sidestepped that one. Also, a number of the apartment buildings, (but not too many hotels), on the beach built before, during, and after the Deco period are oriented around courtyards and are designed to be only one room deep so wind can flow through the building. Maybe Jaques doesn’t have experience with these since he stays in hotels. I am a big fan of Miami Beach residentail apartment design, so maybe I took the dismissive tone personally, but I think the firm could stand to look at the local tradition more. For one thing they seem to be considering courtyards and enclosed courtyards are a dismal failure here, since they rely on evaporative cooling and that doesn’t work in the humidity. They need to look at designs that catch the breezes, which many of the Miami Beach buildings do quite well.

8. Manola Blablablanik    Mon Jan 22, 04:12 PM #

Bling, I agree, but I SOOOOOO miss those monkeys though!

9. Manola Blablablanik    Mon Jan 22, 04:25 PM #

Bling, the one thing that does stand out for me is that if you take a look at all the glass towers (home to ectomorphs) there is not ONE single plant on the balconies. They look incredibly lifeless to me, very “stiff” structures that don’t harmonize with the natural environment. I think that the buildings, while some are colorful (WHATEVER) don’t even come close to the character of Art Deco. I understand progress, development, bla bla bla, but what’s going on downtown, covering the river view for the few rich people who can afford to live there, instead of opening up that panorama as something the city can trademark and be proud of, is a damn shame. When you come into Macarthur Causeway now and see that parking garage (remember when it was painted a horrible shade of green???) you no longer go “ahhh” ... it’s all about the buildings and not the landscape. Mind you the marina is still beautiful, etc; but turning that part of the city into Beachhattan is an eyesore for me. At least however they did build and enhance the boardwalk from South Pointe to the marina, which is what I would have loved to see Downtown.

10. J-J    Mon Jan 22, 04:38 PM #

Manola did you ever bought one of the Monkeyes???
    My fave was the Dentist MOnkey, oh and the Dectective Monkey. Damm! I wish I had bought some of those! To me, at least,those monkeys were the best part of old Linclon RD…ah! Memories.

Oh and my art deco apt building is not a decorative box, OK Mr. big architect Herzog

11. Blingtown    Mon Jan 22, 04:51 PM #

OB/Gyn Monkey. Good. Lord.

I totally agree Manola. When I say I am a fan of residential Miami Beach I am thinking loooow rise. Even some of the new low-rise stuff is great. When they cram the tall ones right next to the water it is a damn shame. They don’t learn that putting a street along the water and the buildings behind is better for everyone.

12. Manola Blablablanik    Mon Jan 22, 05:05 PM #

Bling, yes I did buy one of the Monkeys! For my dad. It was
    architect Monkey … very funny, complete with thermos full of Café con Leche at the drafting table!

I loved Store 24, Expensive but it was like walking into a museum. Also, the Bead Store sold the monkeys as well.

13. Miami Transit Man    Mon Jan 22, 06:16 PM #

Excellent Job Alesh. I was hoping that I could make it down for this, but, given the circumstances I just couldn’t. Glad you covered it though…

14. alesh    Tue Jan 23, 09:44 PM #

On a personal level, I’d just like to mention that the way this event was handled was messed up. They thought that a new building for the city’s premiere art museum wouldn’t attract more people then would fill a 250 seat theater, including all of UM’s architecture students?

What’s more, they didn’t take reservations OR let people into the theater until the start time. Basically, there was a mob/line outside the doors. Picture a sperm-cell shape of people. Some got to line, ie the tail. Some “cut” into the big group. I got to the event a half an hour early, but I idiotically got in line, so I ended up not getting a seat in the auditorium. I had to watch the whole presentation from outside, on a low-resolution LCD TV display. I even told someone I was covering the even for Critical Miami, but no effect — everyone who wasn’t sitting was tossed out.

The photo above was taken during the question-and-answer session, when people inside started to leave (Because what the fuck do they care, anyway?) and I was able to sneak in. Once again proving my theory that UM is lame.

15. Onajide    Thu Jan 25, 12:01 PM #

Adam, my comment wasn’t related to museums but home living. I thought that would have been clearly understood but, maybe not everyone visiting this blog understands the importance of archival conservation and such.

16. Waterfront Land for walking barefoot    Sat Jan 27, 01:05 AM #

I am sure Mr Herzog’s design will be interesting but I doubt the Miami Art Museum can raise the minium $108 Mil necessary to have access to the taxpayer’s waterfront land and the taxpayers money.

At least $108 Mil must be raised. If not, the Miami Art Museum can move to 10,000 sq ft in Little River. And Mr Herzog can design that…

17. alesh    Sat Jan 27, 08:45 AM #

Waterfront~

See here my reasoning re why I think the MAM can raise the money. I described three momentum-building events toward a capital campaign. The unveiling of the design for the building in December will of course be an important 4th.

18. Waterfront land for walking barefoot    Mon Jan 29, 10:27 AM #

To alesh,

I read your reasoning re Miami Art Museum’s ability, or inability, to raise at least $108 Mil. If MAM does not raise at least $108 Mil then supposedly they will NOT get access to the taxpayers waterfront land and to the taxpayers bond money. I am not convinced MAM can raise the money.

I think MAM should be looking for a site that fits within MAM’s budget. And if MAM continues to use the architects MAM has chosen they could do wonders to revive Overtown, Wynwood, or Little River. We have many vacant lots west of the FEC Corridor. But our waterfront park land is scarce.

I think if you check you will find that the Miami Art Museum has raised little or no money for the new museum. Sort of like the promises made about the PAC Center. The PAC Center has cost the taxpayers over $400 Mil and now that it is open it is losing $100,000 per month. We should learn from our mistakes.

19. alesh    Mon Jan 29, 09:59 PM #

Yes, yes — precious little Bicentennial Park, our last little morsel of downtown waterfront green space.

Spare me. I’ve lived in Miami since 1980. That’s twenty six fucking years, and in all that time Bicentennial Park has been a dump. And sometimes a racetrack!

Here comes a plan to make it into something, and all sorts of urban know-betters come out of the woodwork proclaiming that the POTENTIAL of something is better then a definite PLAN to do a particular thing.

You had a better plan for Bicentennial? You had 26 years to make it work. Personally, I’m sick of seeing a prime bit of waterfront green space go 90 unused decade after decade. This isn’t just a plan to build museums . . . have you seen the plan for the park? it’s gorgeous. It’s going to be great.

Yes, MPAC funding was a mess. I think it’s dishonest to say that it’s been “loosing $100,000 per month,” but nevermind, because as you yourself point out the MAM doesn’t get the bread until they raise their share. That’s fair, IMHO. You think they can’t do it, I think they have a decent shot, and we’ll see. Franklin thinks that for the public to be funding 50% is too much, and while I see his point I disagree there — this was a (suspect) public referendum, so there you go.

Yes, there are many places in Miami that would benefit from excellent architecture. This is one, and it happens to be the one that’s getting it. For complicated reasons, public/semi-public projects get better designs then private ones (lowest common denominator, methinks). I hope something great happens in Overtown, Wynwood (already happening), and Little River. But wishing ill on MAM’s plan isn’t going to help any of those neighborhoods.

But I agree with you on this: if the money gets raised then the project deserves to go forward; if not, it deserves to die. At this point, I feel like the MAM’s doing everything right, so that if the fundraising doesn’t happen, it is Miami’s philanthropist community/ethic that is responsible.

20. j-j    Tue Jan 30, 08:42 AM #

what’s wrong with the original MAM building? Why can’t they stay there if their collection is so small. They should buy more art and people will go to their original location.

Why do we blame buildings? We are the only city that keeps buying property, and re-spending funds on the same things…

And 2010? Give me a break! I say we start betting on a complition date: I take 2014.

21. alesh    Tue Jan 30, 11:38 AM #

What’s wrong with the MAM building is obvious if you visit an art museum in another city and then the MAM — the amount of gallery space is very very small. Also the way some of the offices and support areas are set up isn’t really appropriate. For example, the loading dock doesn’t work right, so when they need to get a really big piece of art into the museum, they have to park the truck like a block away and walk the piece down the sidewalk!

The date . . . well, keep in mind two factors that contributed to the delays of the PAC: bickering between the contractor and the architect, and soaring materials costs because of worldwide building explosions. In a couple of years the building boom might well have cooled off, and, well, one of the reasons Riley liked Herzog is that they have a huge staff that actually manages the construction of their projects. They have a good track record, but of course it remains to be seen how it shakes out.

22. Waterfront land for walking barefoot    Wed Jan 31, 12:20 PM #

The Miami Art Museum (MAM) reputedly has either no permament collection or a very small insignificant permanent collection. It is obvious that the well known art collectors in Miami provide little or no support for MAM.

The existing facility is fine for their status. If MAM cannot raise money or art then why expand?

Waterfront park land is priceless and it should not be given away. MAM must raise at least $108 Mil BEFORE they get any more public money. They already took taxpayer money to pay for soft costs, travel expenses and design fees.

I was not in a position of power 26 years ago or even 10 years ago. Clearly more people appreciate parks now. And Miami needs parks and green space for the 40,000 to 100,000 new residents we project. And why not use the vacant lots we have throughout Miami and Miami-Dade County for a new museum? Better access and helpful for the urban core at the same time.

Let us keep our waterfront land for future generations. I do not oppose beautiful museums, let us just place them further west, off the waterfront.

23. alesh    Wed Jan 31, 12:27 PM #

Repeating myself, but: yes, if they can’t raise the money then they won’t build the building. That’s the plan.

I understand that there are some people that like having a gigant field downtown that gets used for a soccer game once every few months and sits abandoned except for the homeless people the rest of the time. But we had a referendum, remember? The public approved the money and land for the museums.

24. Waterfront land for walking barefoot    Thu Feb 1, 09:57 AM #

The referendum was not just to give $500 Mil to two small weak museums who wanted public waterfront land. (Plus $200 Mil in land.) Dozens of items were co-mingled. There was no detail in the language. The referendum was, and is, highly controversial. The language was incredibly deceptive. Most voters had no idea what they were voting on.

Please do not use the failures of our past and even our present elected officials to maintain our waterfront heritage as an excuse to pave it over. We hope we will not have idiots in charge forever. Bear in mind that if you put up a $600 Mil building on our waterfront not only will it cost us $1.8 Bil in taxes (P & I) but future generations will not have access.

25. Tom Morgan    Fri Feb 2, 01:05 AM #

I agree with “walking”. Parks should stay green.

26. alesh    Fri Feb 2, 07:03 AM #

Have you guys seen the design of the park? (click ‘the design of the park’ in the post above)

There’s LOTS of green space in the design. The buildings are on one strip between the rest of the park and 395, so they will actually act as visual and sound barriers from the highway! More importantly, what is it you support, exactly? Green space for the sake of green space, or green space that will actually be used, which is what this is?

I’ll say it again: BP has been a dirty field (with a race track running through it!), which primarily the homeless have used, for over 25 years. This is the O-N-L-Y plan that’s come along to do anything with it. And you guys want to keep it as is? What if it’s that way for another 25 years? You cool with that? Keep in mind that the city might have decided to sell it to condo developers.

Waterfront~

You are correct that the language of the referendum was despicable. $275 million of if is split between the museums. It was heavily debated at the time (i recommend clicking the minus key at the top of the post to navigate through Artblog to get to the other posts), and anyone who cared knew what the deal was despite the nefarious language.

As for “future generations will not have access,” what the hell are you talking about? MAM is free every single Sunday?

27. mkh    Fri Feb 2, 09:27 AM #

I’m with Alesh on this, and I am pretty strongly anti-development. The proposal does incorporate a lot of publicly available green space, and the creation of a tourist destination (of sorts) in the park would force the city to maintain it properly.

Of course I want some assurances that MAM won’t start selling off parcels to developers if they can’t make their rent, too.

Alesh, do you have any idea what the city will do with the downtown building once MAM moves out?

28. alesh    Fri Feb 2, 02:00 PM #

mkh~ It’s something I’ve been wondering about ever since that discussion got started. I’m planning to look into it, because I have some ideas about what I’d like to see . . .

29. J-J    Fri Feb 2, 05:34 PM #

Dave Barry said at the book fair a couple of years ago that Miami is the only city that blames the building: the two comically close arenas and now the two comically close museums.

Sorry alesh, but I dont buy it. The waterfront park can be developed into a nice park, and not a place for the homeless to hang out. I love art, but this is not right, and it scares me that an intelligent dude like you has bought into it do wholeheartedly . The MAM should stay where is at, and we should have more green space. The language on that ballot was deceptive. We all know that. And while it would be nice to have a Herzog piece, why do we have to give so much foe it?

Just because the city let the park waste , does not mean that it can not be developed into a world class open space… I think, no I hope that they wont raise that money, Enough is enough dude, some green space. Green is good !

I mean they are asking for the TOP place in all of downtown Miami, there is room for them elsewhre, they are being greedy , and if they do get the building off the ground , I do hope it works; because they wont be able to get another place like that…

30. Waterfront land for walking barefoot    Fri Feb 2, 06:07 PM #

There is a plan for Bicentennial Park. The plan was created by Coopers Robertson. It shows walkways, grass, landscaping, trees etc etc. It looks quite nice. It would look better if all 28-29 acres were going to be a park. The proposed plan has 16+/- acres being paved, built up and concreted… What a shame to pave so much… And the taxpayers, who are paying for the park, will have to pay again to gain admission to the proposed buildings.

Also Goody Clancy, another parks and green space designer, is working on a Master Plan of all the City of Miami parks and waterways… Its plan also looks quite good. They like green space. They realize Miami has enough concrete. (Maybe that is why they have not been allowed to make a presentation.)

Did you know Miami and Miami-Dade County only have a tree canopy of 11%? Most cities our size have a tree canopy of 33% to 40%. Why take away our valuable waterfront park space?

31. alesh    Sat Feb 3, 11:30 AM #

J-J~

We might have to agree to disagree. When you travel around the world, though, you’ll notice that big museums in prominent public spaces, often in the city center and next to a park, is a reoccurring theme. This is land that the City owns, and I think this is a pretty good way to use it for the public good. There’s a big park on the other side of Bayside a couple of blocks south. Then you have Bayside, the AAarena, and then you’ll have another park and two museums. Aside from the AAA, that strikes me as a pretty good stretch of walkable public/private space. It strikes me that without the museums anchoring the north end (And shielding the park from the road noise) the park is actually less appealing

We have parks all over the place, and many of them sit largely unused. As does Bicentennial park right now. Sometimes I think the anti-museum folks like the IDEA of open space, but don’t actually go to parks very much.

“The MAM should stay where is at”

That’s fine if you don’t like art.

“the two comically close arenas and now the two comically close museums.”

Waterfront~

MAM is free every single Sunday.

32. Waterfront land for walking barefoot    Sat Feb 3, 11:56 AM #

To alesh-

I understand your statement that MAM is free every Sunday. That is great for the 5 to 10 tourists who show up.

Then are you adocating that the taxpayers give the Miami Art Museum (still lacking a collection) a $200+ Mil site and $250+ Mil in soft costs and construction costs and then the taxpayers still have to pay admission to get in six (6) days a week? To get access to the land and construction they paid for? Such a deal.

Since the MAM is broke and they have no permanent collection, why not let them have access to a site west off the waterfront? Then they can raise some money and build something befitting their small stature and meager funds? Maybe they could build something in the Design District so their Director can walk to work?

33. Steve Hagen, chair, Parks & Public Space Committee of Miami Neighborhoods United    Sun Feb 4, 11:25 PM #

Indeed “Park” elements need to be added to Bicentennial Park as it was never landscaped as a park. It was doomed to fail from the very beginning. Our leaders did what they could in the late 70’s with the funding they had, however suceeding leaders have not been good stewards of this prime public land as it has been essentially ignored. Is this past neglect any reason to now give it all up up to special interests? Is that being good stewards of the land entruste to us? Adny by the way, we very well may not have Bicentenila Park were it not for the Balck community as 100% of the Balce precincts voted for the 27.9 dollar bond question, where it ahd faild two yearts previous.

Right after the bond issue passed in 1974, residents had to fight to keep it as park as special interests immediately tried to place a museum, convention center and luxury hotel there. Our predessors fought those special interests with the assistance of the Miami Herald which ran a series of stories adn readers responded. Today the Herald editorial board, one of the community stewards, sits silent with no explanation of their position change.

In February of 2004, over 300 people participated in a day long charette for a renewal concept on Bicentennial Park. The public charette revealed that only 7 of 28 tables thought it was a wise idea to have two museums in the park. The museums interests did not like the outcome of that public charette so they got together with their pals on the City Commission and stired the Cultural Park concept plan to be designed by Dover Kohl. That plan showed two museums; one at one acre and one at 2 acres. After the Commission voted, the Commission at alter meetings gave them four acres each and the Cooper Robertson plan now shows three museum buildings, a restaurant building and a parks building. There is already a sewer pump building. The problem grows larger as the charette participants expressed the desire for a traditional park with lots of landscaping and lots of shade. The Cooper Robertson Plan provides only four acres of “gardens” and the rest is “open” space which is what there is there now, which is not used except for soccer play.

After Herzog’s lecture, in which he said they speak at length with the clients and community on public projects, I asked him if he knew there was a huge charette about the park. He seemed surprised. He was more suprised when I told him there was huge public sentiment against huge buildings overwhelming the park and he responded “that is not my problem, speak with my client” Let me remind the readers of this blog that I can find only one museusm H&M have designed in a park. That is the art museum (sorry I forget the name) in the San Francisco Pan Handle Park of about 300 acres. The Minneaplis art museum addition is a great building I have been to, however it sits on the edge of a park in a city that has one of the most extensive park systems in the US while Miami is 55 out of 55 cities in terms of park acreage per resident. If we doubled our parks, we would rise only one position.

Prior to the deceptive bond question, I spoke to about ten of the 15 or so organizations who were receiving dollars from the bond. My question was simple. Where is your respext for parks and for history? Not one of the leaders of these civic organizations could even reply.

There is no respect for parks, nor little respect for history in this wantabe world class city. There is little respect for different economic classes of people. Are we to remain only a city of indoor attractions, shopping and a trip to the beach or Everglades? Where is our central park?

The Coopper Robertson plan needs drastic revision but the city has had it since July of 2006 and they have failed to hold even the fist public meeting.

If H& M can design a really green building that disapears into the park and if the “open space” can be heavily landscaped and if the amount of hard surfaces can be drastically reduced, then the people just might be able to have a natural experiece in the park, But, as it stands now, Bicentennial Park is on the verge of being
    reduced to one large plaza with landscaping as a side show instead of the main experience.

And what about space for the Science Mueueum? They seem to need even more land for outdoor
    exhibit space. Are not both of these museums boxing themselves in, in terms of future growth or do they plan on being static and not growing.

Where is the creativity in this city?
    London turned a power station into a museum and Paris converted a railraod station. What could be done with the Miami Arena or the the Knight Center, both avaiable. Why not put the art museum in the upper levels of the arena and aspiring artists on the bottom?

One of the charges of the public charette was to “activate” Bicentennial Park. If our leaders really want to activate the park then put one tiny Starbucks in the center of the park and 3300 people (that is the average number of customers a day) will traverse the park to get their cup of joe with a little excercise thrown in. I doubt if both museums, even in new buildings in prime locations would attract that many patrons in a week. Well, maybe if they included a Starbucks.

If you care to receive a much longer history of this park and how it is being stolen, please email me at StevenMIA@aol.com as I can’t check this blog all the time. Steve Hagen, Chair of the Parks & Public Space Committee of Miami Neighborhoods United

34. j-j    Mon Feb 5, 08:28 AM #

“The MAM should stay where is at”

“That’s fine if you don’t like art.”

I like at art, I’m an artist btw= that’s how I make my living…

“the two comically close arenas and now the two comically close museums.”

“Um, are you talking about the two proposed new museums? Because that’s a pretty stupid analogy.”

Dude, Dave Barry was talking about the current location of the MAM and comparing it with the proposed location of the Herzog MAM. Man, we are the only city that blames the building, and not the institution….

Like the TWO Miami Arenas, the two buildings wil l almost next to one another.

Why can’t the MAM find another cool location that doesnt involved Green Space? Greed.

i really dont know how you can support this crazy idea… Maybe your pasion for art has blinded you of it’s harmful consequences to the city. Oh, I know a Herzog piece is super cool, but it doesnt look like they are taking US into consideration.

35. Alex    Mon Feb 5, 11:03 AM #

I got to say, Hagen’s idea of converting the Miami Arena into our Tate Modern sounds very intriguing.

36. Waterfront parks for walking barefoot    Mon Feb 5, 01:45 PM #

I agree with Steve Hagen. The Miami Arena might make an amazing museum and art space. The Guggenhiem Museum in NYC has a circular performance and viewing space. London and Paris have converted unconventional buildings into great popular museums. And H & M did the design of the London adaptive re-use, winning many awards.

The Miami Arena was just sold by the City of Miami for $27+/- Mil. Now the City of Miami or the County could buy it back and use it for the Miami Art Museum. Surrounded by parking. What a great idea and walking distance to downtown and the Omni District.

And Bicentennial Park could become a 28-29 acre landscaped park. As Steve Hagen suggested, put one Starbucks in the center and attract 3,300 visitors a day. What a great idea. You will create the most visited park south of NYC.

But MAM must raise $108 Mil first to participate.