Tuesday December 26, 2006

Chancletas

The caption to this picture reads “Many people talk on their cell phones an awful lot. The threat of cancer does not intimidate this young lady. Note the tight pants and chancletas.” Here’s what chellybelly has to say about “chancletas:”

A word for flip flops or other type of slip on, inexpensive sandal. Only SoFla people ever know what I mean when I say it. The word is Spanish Slang Cuban and Carribean [sic] influenced. Miami girls wear them everywhere in the 00’s. Also called Chanks, or Chanx.

The image is from the photostream of humhooter, who has another great picture here.

Tags: , , ,

1. Tere    Tue Dec 26, 09:20 PM #

I have many, many pairs, in many, many colors. Come May, it’s all I wear outside of work (practically, anyway).

Yeah, that’s right, I admit it: I’m a chancleta whore!!

2. Alex    Tue Dec 26, 09:23 PM #

¡Chancletera!

3. Manuel A. Tellechea    Tue Dec 26, 09:48 PM #

Chancletera is a term used in Cuba to describe the most vulgar of the hoi polloi: the wives of the revolutionary elite, who, before they discovered the perquisites of the ruling class, could be distinguished by the clapping of their sandals.

4. nonee moose    Tue Dec 26, 10:58 PM #

as opposed to a “chancletero”, which I’m told refers to a male with a predisposition to sire only female offspring…

5. Alex    Wed Dec 27, 08:46 AM #

Very good Nonee. There’s also the “cazuelero” which is vernacular for a male with a feminine predisposition to gossiping and bickering; e.g: “el viejo cazuelero ese que siempre está hablando boberías”.

6. Tere    Wed Dec 27, 10:26 AM #

LOL, Alex. All right, soy chancletera – I can’t even pretend to deny it…

7. Elias    Wed Dec 27, 10:54 AM #

Chanks!

8. Alex    Wed Dec 27, 10:57 AM #

Tere, the fabulous boots more than make it up…

9. Manola Blablablanik    Wed Dec 27, 12:14 PM #

Chancletas are a cultural icon!

10. anon    Wed Dec 27, 11:52 PM #

You cubans love to think you invented everything. The term “chancletas” is USED practically all over Latin America (with some exceptions of course). I first heard it being used by Puerto Rican and Dominicans when I lived in New York. I next have heard it from Mexicans, Colombians, Ecuadoreas, Venezuelans – need I continue?

11. alesh    Thu Dec 28, 06:48 AM #

Does somebody need a hug? ‘Cause I don’t see where Cubans claimed to “invent” a thing.

12. Anon    Thu Dec 28, 07:58 AM #

Alesh – are you blind?

Read the previous posts – “Chancletas… is a term used in Cuba..” yes, only in Cuba of course! nowhere else! how about this on for size:

Chancletas… is a term used in LATIN AMERICA...”

Or how about this errant comment:

The word is Spanish Slang CUBAN and Carribean [sic] influenced..

Wrong again. It used EVERYWHERE, not just Cuba and the Carribean.

How about rephrasing this to:

The word is Spanish Slang Cuban and Carribean [sic] influenced.

Man, open you eyes and get rid of that nasty FILTER you have and stop seeing only what you WANT to see.

13. alesh    Thu Dec 28, 08:15 AM #

The joke’s on YOU: The only person who mentioned Cuba was Manuel, presumably because, drum roll: he’s Cuban. The only way he could say it was used all over Latin America would be if he’d traveled all over Latin America or studied etymology.

And your second example doesn’t make sense. Your before and after “rephrasing” is the same exact statement.

How about a “Those horrible Cubans they’re always talking about Cuba” filter?

14. j-j    Thu Dec 28, 09:23 AM #

wow! how did a chancletas post turn into a cuban-miami-filter rant?

15. mkh    Thu Dec 28, 09:38 AM #

It’s like entropy, j-j — everything eventually devolves into a discussion of Cuba here.

16. Manola Blablablanik    Thu Dec 28, 09:57 AM #

This is ridiculous. All Manuel pointed to was its usage in Cuba after the revolution, no more, no less. Everybody knows that usage of words varies from country to country in the Spanish-speaking world, so what’s the big deal, anon? Why don’t you tell us something we don’t know?

BTW, “Chancleta” is a form of “chancla,” which simply means a shoe without a heel. I’ve heard both forms used in Spain and South America.