Thursday November 30, 2006
But first some background.
Babalu is Miami’s most famous, most widely read blog (especially if you don’t count Drudge). It’s been around for over three years, and is widely read and internationally respected as the premiere online voice of Cubans in exile. It’s a group blog, but editor Val Pietro is close to a celebrity, having frequently appeared on the radio and in print media.
Stuck on the Palmetto just celebrated its one-year anniversary, and what a year it’s been. It’s become Miami’s most-read omniblog, and, as the sidebar prominently reminds us on every visit, was named New Times Broward’s ‘Best Blog’ for 2006. It was a one-man shop until just recently, and is officially written anonymously, though Rick and Alex’s anonymity extends pretty much just to the point of leaving off their last names.
It may or may not be worth pointing out that Babalu’s Technorati stats are about an order of magnitude higher then SotP’s. Linkfight (possibly skewed by SotP’s blogspotness). Anyway, here’s the escalating clash of these two giants, in reverse order:
- November 29 (yesterday!): a crazy post where Rick lists everything he’s been accused of and all the names he’s been called without any attempt to describe what he many have said or done to cause such a response. With comments closed (!) lest anyone else remind him.
- November 27: my rambling account of a deleted comment on Babalu, and what it might mean. A long argument, including Rick and Val, in the comments.
- November 14: Babalu gets pissed off at SotP for taking his image (and apparently photoshoping it — the version at the post has apparently been changed back) and generally being a pain in his ass, and (ironically) does a “rename this blog” poll.
- October 22: “ Someone Needs To Start A ‘babalu Watch’.” Ouch.
- October 11: an somewhat typical post where Rick gratuitously (though not inaccurately) points out a few insults Babalu has hurled at Herald reporters. With links.
- September 07: a particularly sarcastic “The Four Rules Of Blogging…according to Val Prieto” post. A response to the infamous “Horse Post” (see below).
- September 05: Val catches a glimpse of Fidel Castro on Law & Order, prompting a post titled Is Babalu Becoming Delusional?, followed by an oh SNAP — here’s the video capture post.
- August 31: The Horse Post. Rick gets something wrong in a post, causing Val to suggest “Maybe you should take an exit ramp and actually see the freaken city youre writing about.” That sets off an argument that gets pretty personal.
- Early August: Mixed positive and negative posts, with Rick getting increasingly skeptical of Babalu: one, two, three. Some early mentions.
A fight between two inconsequential bloggers is not very interesting. A fight between two prominent bloggers is . . . well, still not very interesting, but interesting enough to make it worth collecting all these links in one place. Personally, I like them both, but I disagree with both often enough to make it utterly impossible to try to pick a favorite or assign any blame. It’s just two guys who don’t see the world the same way, and it’s all on the record. At least until Blogger crashes once and for all!
Tags: blogscomments powered by Disqus