Monday September 11, 2006

Barry University guard tower

I was all in suspense while they were building this thing, wondering what it was going to be. As far as I can tell, it’s just a way for Barry University to increase its visibility in Miami; I couldn’t find any mention on their site to “Silvester Tower.” A great idea, but really now: it matches the noise walls along I-95, and the architecture really suggests a prison tower more then anything else. A tasteful fence with barbed wire top in front completes the effect.

1. Tere    Mon Sep 11, 11:48 AM #

I was wondering, too, and found it disappointing as well. How purposeless.

2. travis    Mon Sep 11, 03:23 PM #

i was liking the graffiti the kids kept tagging it up with during construction. i suppose thats why the barbed wire is there now.

3. Miami Transit Man    Mon Sep 11, 03:27 PM #

Seriously, the barbed wire is hideous…

4. Ryan    Mon Sep 11, 03:44 PM #

Is this an expansion of Dade Correctional?

5. gansibele    Mon Sep 11, 04:17 PM #

Jejeje, I have been watching the thing get erected for months, and speculating as to what it was – an observation tower to monitor traffic? command central for amber alerts? I was kinda disapponted when the Barry U logo went up. Still don’t know what it’s for.

6. conductor    Mon Sep 11, 05:16 PM #

I believe that kind of barbed wire is called concertina. Nice touch. a $7 and hour security guard (in the tower) would have been a better expense to keep the graffitti off.

7. mkh    Mon Sep 11, 05:23 PM #

That’s about a mile from my house, and I pass it on my way home every day. In this neighborhood that concertina wire is seen as a sign of affluence. A lot of houses just have rusty lids from catfood cans nailed to the edge of the roof.

I had been curious what they were building there, but I was surprised when it turned out to be a sniper tower. I will certainly keep it in mind if the silicone chip inside my head is set to overload.

8. J-J    Tue Sep 12, 07:00 AM #

I went to Barry U and after $20,000 (+ $$$room & board) and all I got was a lousy “presidio” tower:)

*BTW I ended up graduating from FIU much better and cheaper + @ the north campus (the South campus is sooo ugly)