Monday July 17, 2006

Tweaked

First of all, appologies to Internet Explorer users, who have been suffering on and off for weeks with a misbehavin’ left column. Now use that big button on the right to get firefox anyway.

I hate change as much as the next guy, but it was time for that three-column layout to go. Actually, the navbar is going to split into two little columns again, but nevermind for now. What we have, then, is a slight layout change, with a few other little modifications:

Tags:

1. Manola Blablablanik    Mon Jul 17, 04:04 PM #

Yo! Yep, what a difference 50 pixels makes!

I like the two-column, but to be sure, you had one of the best three-column layouts I’ve ever seen. Very clean and uncluttered.

Your second column is not dropping down on post pages and all I see is background. That’s ok … but I wouldn’t find it a distraction if you used that column for ads or whatever you needed.

Oh … Why isn’t SATB on your rollyo?

2. alesh    Mon Jul 17, 09:45 PM #

Thanks, Manola! It’s going to get a little more cluttered, but hopefully not hopelessly so.

I set up the Rollyo months ago, so there are a lot of blogs missing from it, something that needs to change (though it’s capped at something like 15 sites).

3. Rick    Mon Jul 17, 09:52 PM #

Overall, I like it. You didn’t wreck anything, which is important when what you have is working fine.

Likes: Cleaner look. Dates.

Dislikes: Textile comments…..grrrrrr. I wouldn’t give the “one year ago” deal such prominence at the top of the sidebar. Nice feature…just doesn’t deserve that kind of exposure, IMO. Move the “latest comments” there instead.

But what do I know? I still use Blogger.

4. alesh    Mon Jul 17, 11:18 PM #

Thanks Rick. I agree w/r/t the layout of the navbar; it needs to be rearranged. I really need for part of it to be a two-column thing, and then it’ll all make sense. Thanks for reminding me about the Textile thing… i’m going to try to make it a little more obvious.

Still upset about my comment about your blogspot URL?

Let’s get into it, then: you have a lakefront house in Pembroke Pines, a fancy European sports car, and you can’t afford $5 a month for a web host? I mean, let’s face it – you have the most comprehensive blog-of-record blog in South Florida, and it’s obvious you spend LOTS of time on it… do you honestly not see how much better off you’d be with http://www.stuckonthepalmetto.com/ (which, BTW, is so available it makes me want to buy it just as a mirror for CM)???

5. Rick    Tue Jul 18, 07:14 AM #

Well, I do have a lakefront house. In Pembroke Pines. And I dream regularly about having a fancy European sports car. But, no, I’m really not upset by the Blogger comment. I just found the comment to be a little outrageous by an otherwise sensible guy and I can’t help but remind you of it every chance I get.

As you note, it’s kind of ridiculous not to pay the $5 a month for a web hosting service. But I find it ridiculous to to pay anything for something I can get for free that’s adequate for my needs. Yes, Blogger is tempermental. But I’ve heard similar comments about other platforms lately. And just look at the struggles that Miami Transit Man is having. When Blogger works, which lately has been close to 100% of the time, it’s great. When it’s down, it stinks. Just like any other web hosting service that I would be paying for.

Thanks for the compliments. But I’m still trying to figure out how to get 100,000+ page views a month.

6. KH    Tue Jul 18, 02:50 PM #

I like the way it looks a lot, but I have to say that I am not a fan of advertisements at the top of the blog.

7. alesh    Tue Jul 18, 08:37 PM #

Rick~ check out a sad recent archive page from your blog. Where have all the images gone? I don’t know – ask your pals at Blogger. And remember that if I ever get sick of Dreamhost (which has had their fair share of problems in the last 72 hours or so) I can back up my data, move to a new host, and nobody will ever know. Whereas if you move to www.stuckonthepalmetto.com today (if fanless doesn’t buy it first – boy has a penchant for collecting URL’s), you’ll be correcting links for years.

BTW, Analog’s page view ratings tend to cast a very wide net – you may be getting more readers then me this very moment – there’s just no way to know for sure.

Manola~ (i feel like I said this already, but where??) I set up that Rollyo months ago, before I knew about SOTB… it may need to get updated, or it may need to get whacked alltogether – nothing but error messages out of the thing today (hence the old search is back in tandem for now).

KH~ I feel your pain, but google ads pay my hosting fees, and plus it’s interesting to see what they dredge up. I don’t mind a little hard reality in my blogging. Sorry, but the ads may even come back to the main page at some point…

8. Rick    Tue Jul 18, 09:20 PM #

I’m not following you, Alesh. The link takes me back to my blog which, incidentally, looks great! (Heh)

No, really, I went back to my first month at SotP and everything was there. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

As a side note, I realize that Blogger isn’t perfect. Preserving content and having portability just isn’t all that important to me. Really. This isn’t something I plan on taking to my grave, although based upon Milton’s story I posted today, you just never know.

9. Christian Calzadillas    Tue Jul 18, 09:42 PM #

domain names are my baseball cards!