Thursday July 6, 2006

HA! Tere’s also unhappy with Gables Diner. The fact that she keeps going there (and half-apologizes for them) once again proves my theory that there’s a dearth of decent restaurants in the Gables. Ironically, right?

1. Tere    Thu Jul 6, 02:31 PM #

Not unhappy so much as not as big a fan as I used to be. More like disappointed.

2. alesh    Thu Jul 6, 03:33 PM #

Aww, c’mon, Tere! Your review has three sections: The Food, The Bad, and The Ugly. And of those, “The Food” section starts out talking about how the last time you went the sweet-potato fries were so bad you couldn’t even eat them!

You may have an affection for the place, but in a healthy restaurant market you’d have abbandoned them a long time ago, right?

3. Tere    Thu Jul 6, 10:02 PM #

True, true. But my feelings have been moving more towards disappointment than unhappiness.

It IS mainly the affection that keeps me going back, but the puree of red bean soup, too.

4. KH    Fri Jul 7, 12:06 PM #

Glut is not the word you are looking for. You want “dearth”. Glut means an abundance of, not a lack of. I’m pretty sure you mean to say that there’s a lack of decent restaurants in the Gables.

However, I do not concur!

While I think that there IS a glut of restaurants in the Gables, there is a dearth of affordable restaurants, those moderately priced (and tasty) enough for folks like me and Tere (note caveat: includes KID) to eat at regularly. [With the execption of my adored Prezzemolo, of course]

5. alesh    Fri Jul 7, 12:51 PM #

Yep, ‘dearth.’ I fixed it, thanks.

Although… i think the prices at GD are about typical, and Tere obviously can afford to eat there at least semi-regularly.

Steve reports a good and reasonably priced and Thai restaurant on the south side of Miracle Mile. Anyone know what that is?

6. Tere    Fri Jul 7, 02:33 PM #

The Lotus Garden?

7. KH    Fri Jul 7, 02:39 PM #

My pricing point is that there are a LOT of pretty expensive restaurants in the Gables which are good—a glut of them, in fact!. The moderately priced restaurants are the ones which are hit or miss taste/service wise.

8. Tere    Fri Jul 7, 03:57 PM #

I’m with KH on this. I enjoy eating out, anywhere, really, and pre-baby I would budget a good amount of $$ for eating out.

A lot of places in the Gables are great, but pricey now that I have a kid and am trying to be a grownup about my finances. The moderately priced places are not as common and indeed are hit or miss with food and service.