Thursday June 1, 2006

Gabriel has been doing pretty solid work at Miami Transit for the past few months, and is now the master of his own domain. The template may need a little work (light gray text on a white bg?), but the move is good (see #10): “Having a weblog address ending in blogspot.com, typepad.com, etc. will soon be the equivalent of having an @aol.com email address or a Geocities website: the mark of a na├»ve beginner who shouldn’t be taken too seriously.”

1. Rick    Thu Jun 1, 09:31 PM #

And the guy who drives a Toyota isn’t as knowledgeable about cars as the guy with a Ferrari. And the person who rents an apartment is less experienced in real estate than the person who owns a mansion. And we could go on and on.

C’mon, Alesh. You don’t really buy into that crap, do you? A name is everything? Shelling out X amount of bucks for a blogging platform gains you instant respect and credibility?

Moveable Type, Wordpress and the others are great platforms, and Blogger has its share of problems, as you’ve heard me moan about time after time, but to say or agree with someone saying that your platform makes your blog…

Pure BS.

Gabriel will continue to kick ass and maintain credibility, not because he has a new platform, but because he offers good content. Does dropping the .blogspot help? For the few people that attach some significance to the URL, sure. But in the end, Gabriel’s readers will visit because they enjoy reading what he writes.

And, yes, I have a .blogspot address.

Just remember I’m naive and don’t take me too serious when you visit SotP.

2. KH    Fri Jun 2, 01:36 AM #

Add hotmail to that list; I can’t take a hotmail address seriously at all.

Also—I had a geocities site in the devonian period, and a .blogspot site in the more recent cretaceous period. One of these days I’m going to be all: “back in the day I had a .com!”

3. alesh    Fri Jun 2, 08:06 AM #

I actually wasn’t trying to offend any .blogspot, or any other “blogger services” bloggers . . . of course in reality content far outweighs everything else. There are lots and lots of very serious blogs on .blogspot, and Sunshine State, one of my favorite local blogs, is on something called .diaryland.

But there’s truth in what Nielsen says. A site on its own domain implies that someone has planned and put in work to set something up. A blogger address has a certain “I set this up in 5 minutes on a whim” air to it (which of course archives that go back a significant period can dispel).

Then there’s the technical part: KH can probably attest that even getting a plain vanilla Wordpress install up and running is an ordeal. In my case, I labored over this textpattern thing for weeks before I had anything at all; the end result is a site that doesn’t look quite like anything else, and has a number of unique features (and more on the way, and oh plus a new design, which I’ve been talking about for months, but it really is on the way).

4. KH    Fri Jun 2, 11:06 AM #

Nope, not too much of an ordeal! My hosting has a one-click install of wordpress and about five other blogging platforms. Tweaking the design is what takes time, only because I don’t know CSS and PHP (though I guess I know ‘em a little now).

5. mkh    Fri Jun 2, 01:52 PM #

Hmm, I was going to point out that quoting Jakob Neilsen is usually a good way to get in trouble (but I reference the Neilsen/Norman studies at work all the time), but it looks like you know that. Jakob’s quote is intended more for an audience of professional bloggers, either corporate or consultants. I don’t know that this really applies to personal sites like Rick’s (or mine, for that matter).

If Gabriel is planning to use his site as an on-line resume, then it makes a difference. If not, then it doesn’t matter. (Not that it has stopped me from buying a dozen or so domains, myself, just in case.)

6. Manola BBB    Fri Jun 2, 02:07 PM #

Believe it or not, SATB used to be on a stone tablet!

7. Tere    Fri Jun 2, 09:29 PM #

I would love my own domain that I build myself and all that, but my website development skills ended in 2000 when I was laid off from a .com. So for some of us, whether we like it or not, blogspot and typepad is all there is.

When I had my other site, I owned (own) the domain name, and the best I could do was forward it masked to first my geocities site and then another one. Geocities may be a joke now, but it was the only one with an easy program for technical dumbasses like me.

And either way, I’m convinced that good writing is good writing regardless of where it’s hosted. If one day I could have it all on my own special site with all sorts of cool features, great. But I define myself as a writer, and as such, I just want people to read my stuff and enjoy it.

8. Rebecca Carter    Tue Jun 6, 10:04 AM #

I guess I’m coming into this conversation after it’s already over. For me, the decision to go .com was that I felt it would be easier to tell people the address without having to write it down. Also, when I call local organizations with questions, I feel it does give me a little more credibility.

As for platform, I use Typepad, and my goDaddy .com name cost $9. Anyway, just my opinion for what works for me!